Colegiada de Santa Maria de Barcelos
Item
Country
PT
Name of institution (English)
The National Archive of Torre do Tombo
Name of institution (official language of the state)
Language of name of institution
por
Contact information: postal address
Alameda da Universidade, 1649-010 Lisbon
Contact information: phone number
00351 210037100
Contact information: web address
http://antt.dglab.gov.pt/contactos/
https://digitarq.arquivos.pt/
Contact information: email
mail@dglab.gov.pt
Reference number
PT/TT/CSMB
Type of reference number
Archival reference number
Title (English)
Collegiate of Santa Maria de Barcelos
Title (official language of the state)
Colegiada de Santa Maria de Barcelos
Language of title
por
Creator / accumulator
Colegiada de Santa Maria de Barcelos
Date(s)
1313/1888
Language(s)
lat
por
Extent
25 books and 13 bundles
Type of material
Textual Material
Physical condition
Satisfactory
Scope and content
The Colegiada de Santa Maria da Barcelos fonds comprises various documentation related to or produced by the Collegiate and Church of Santa Maria in Barcelos, in northern Portugal. It includes wills, contracts, sentences, property and financial records, documents related to the clerics, byelaws of brotherhoods, royal letters, etc. The oldest records of this fonds date back to the 14th and 15th centuries, and contain some information related to the Jewish community and the "judiaria" (Jewish quarter) of Barcelos.
Some examples are the following:
Maço (bundle) 1, no. 5: sentence given by Estêvão Pais, Vicar General of Braga, at the request of Geraldo Anes, Rector of the Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos, against a Jew named Salomão and his wife Aviziboa, who possessed some houses belonging to the Church of Santa Maria. Latin document, uncertain date (1343?).
Maço 1, no. 8: donation of a house located in Rua das Aldas, in the Jewish quarter, that was left to the Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos by Martim Pais, the Abbot of São João of Vila Boa, in the outskirts of Barcelos. November 20, 1355.
Maço 1, no. 9: Beatriz Peres, a widow, donated in perpetuity a cellar and a house in Rua dos Judeus (Jews’ Street) to the Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos. August 1362.
Maço 1, no. 12: "Emprazamento" (emphyteusis contract) of a house located next to the house of Moser Moussem, a Jew, and close by the Jewish quarter as well. September 20, 1369.
Maço 1, no. 36: João Anes, Abbot of the Church of Santa Maria de Barcelos, "empraza" (leases by emphyteusis contract) for three lives to Diogo Fernandes, a mason, and his wife Maria Martins, a house in the Jewish quarter of Barcelos, which was located in front the synagogue. August 1, 1431.
Maço 1, no. 71 and 72: Two "emprazamentos" in 1511 and 1512 of properties located in the place of the former Jewish quarter of Barcelos.
Some examples are the following:
Maço (bundle) 1, no. 5: sentence given by Estêvão Pais, Vicar General of Braga, at the request of Geraldo Anes, Rector of the Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos, against a Jew named Salomão and his wife Aviziboa, who possessed some houses belonging to the Church of Santa Maria. Latin document, uncertain date (1343?).
Maço 1, no. 8: donation of a house located in Rua das Aldas, in the Jewish quarter, that was left to the Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos by Martim Pais, the Abbot of São João of Vila Boa, in the outskirts of Barcelos. November 20, 1355.
Maço 1, no. 9: Beatriz Peres, a widow, donated in perpetuity a cellar and a house in Rua dos Judeus (Jews’ Street) to the Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos. August 1362.
Maço 1, no. 12: "Emprazamento" (emphyteusis contract) of a house located next to the house of Moser Moussem, a Jew, and close by the Jewish quarter as well. September 20, 1369.
Maço 1, no. 36: João Anes, Abbot of the Church of Santa Maria de Barcelos, "empraza" (leases by emphyteusis contract) for three lives to Diogo Fernandes, a mason, and his wife Maria Martins, a house in the Jewish quarter of Barcelos, which was located in front the synagogue. August 1, 1431.
Maço 1, no. 71 and 72: Two "emprazamentos" in 1511 and 1512 of properties located in the place of the former Jewish quarter of Barcelos.
Archival history
An ark with documents from the Collegiate of Santa Maria of Barcelos was sent by the Secretaria Geral das Bibliotecas e Arquivos Nacionais (General Secretariat of National Libraries and Archives) to the Torre do Tombo in 1906. Those documents form the current Colegiada de Santa Maria de Barcelos fonds.
Administrative / Biographical history
The main church of Barcelos was elevated to collegiate in 1464 by King Afonso V. It came as a result of the efforts of the Count of Barcelos, the Duke of Braganza and the Archbishop of Braga, looking for prestige and following a period of renovation within the church. In spite of being one of the newest collegiates of the archbishopric, soon it became one of the most important due to the protection granted by the dukes of Braganza and the various dependent parishes and estates transferred by the archbishops.
However, the influence of the dukes of Braganza diminished at the end of the 15th century, by reason of the rivalry between them and King João II.
The collegiates were communities of clerics and laymen with the purpose of ensuring the religious cult in churches. The collegiates were headed by a prior and composed of a number of "raçoeiros" (literally, who received a ration), who were generally clerics but, exceptionally, also included a few laymen. The "raçoeiros" undertook liturgical functions, such as singing in the choir and praying for the worshipers who had left donations to the collegiate, etc.
Initially, the Collegiate of Santa Maria had one prior, one treasurer and five clerics. Unlike most collegiates, its clerics did not have to live in community. The prior received half of the income of the collegiate, the other half was divided within the other clerics. The Collegiate of Santa Maria also had a "mestre-escola" (schoolmaster), a position that was only reserved for the most influential collegiates of the archbishopric. A copy of the medieval statutes of the Collegiate is still preserved and it is the only record of medieval statutes from a collegiate of the archbishopric of Braga.
The Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos was built in the 14th century, during the transition period between the Romanesque and the Gothic styles. Its construction was ordered by Count D. Pedro. Already in the 16th century, the construction of the new dome of the main chapel was financed by a Jewish converso, D. Gil da Costa, in 1504. The Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos was one of the most important attractions of the region during the Ancien Régime.
In 1848, the collegiates were extinguished by the Liberal government. However, the Patriarch Cardinal of Lisbon determined that the most notable collegiates should be preserved. One of them was Santa Maria of Barcelos. In 1859, a royal letter sent to the Archbishop of Braga confirmed its preservation and new statutes were given to it in 1864. Notwithstanding, in the early 20th century, the Collegiate of Santa Maria of Barcelos was already extinct.
However, the influence of the dukes of Braganza diminished at the end of the 15th century, by reason of the rivalry between them and King João II.
The collegiates were communities of clerics and laymen with the purpose of ensuring the religious cult in churches. The collegiates were headed by a prior and composed of a number of "raçoeiros" (literally, who received a ration), who were generally clerics but, exceptionally, also included a few laymen. The "raçoeiros" undertook liturgical functions, such as singing in the choir and praying for the worshipers who had left donations to the collegiate, etc.
Initially, the Collegiate of Santa Maria had one prior, one treasurer and five clerics. Unlike most collegiates, its clerics did not have to live in community. The prior received half of the income of the collegiate, the other half was divided within the other clerics. The Collegiate of Santa Maria also had a "mestre-escola" (schoolmaster), a position that was only reserved for the most influential collegiates of the archbishopric. A copy of the medieval statutes of the Collegiate is still preserved and it is the only record of medieval statutes from a collegiate of the archbishopric of Braga.
The Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos was built in the 14th century, during the transition period between the Romanesque and the Gothic styles. Its construction was ordered by Count D. Pedro. Already in the 16th century, the construction of the new dome of the main chapel was financed by a Jewish converso, D. Gil da Costa, in 1504. The Church of Santa Maria of Barcelos was one of the most important attractions of the region during the Ancien Régime.
In 1848, the collegiates were extinguished by the Liberal government. However, the Patriarch Cardinal of Lisbon determined that the most notable collegiates should be preserved. One of them was Santa Maria of Barcelos. In 1859, a royal letter sent to the Archbishop of Braga confirmed its preservation and new statutes were given to it in 1864. Notwithstanding, in the early 20th century, the Collegiate of Santa Maria of Barcelos was already extinct.
Access points: locations
Access points: subject terms
Access points: document types
System of arrangement
Each type of storage unit (books and bundles) has its specific numerical order.
Access, restrictions
No restrictions, except for records in poor condition.
Finding aids
Unpublished finding aids available in the Torre do Tombo:
Catalogues of bundles 1 to 5 (C 299-C300).
Catalogue of bundle 13 (C 1086).
"Inventário da Colegiada de Barcelos" (Inventory of the Collegiate of Barcelos). (L 286), fols. 3-13.
Links to finding aids
Author of the description
Inês de Sá and Teresa Oliveira, 2021
Linked resources
Filter by property
Title | Alternate label | Class |
---|---|---|
Arquivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo | Collections (official language of the state) |